Design Manager - Peterborough
Our client offers space rental solutions throughout 22 countries serving 31,000 customers in the areas of construction and infrastructure, industry, services and administration leasing for 150 locations and operates Hire from 45 locations throughout the UK providing temporary, semi-permanent and permanent accommodation solutions to a wide range of sectors..
To provide technical expertise to our clients Modular Hire to safe guard its position in the market place and adhere to Group standards of Safety, Health, Environment, Quality. Effectively manage Technical team to successfully deliver volumetric hire projects from inception to completion. Lead and provide a turnkey Technical support service during the tender, pre-construction and post-planning phases of a wide variety of Modular Hire projects within the education, healthcare and commercial sectors. Ensure full compliance with all relevant codes and standards including Town Planning, Building Regulations, Building Bulletins, Department of Education output specifications and other associated publications.
• Ensure compliance with Statutory Regulations, Industry and Group Standards
• Ensure that Safety, Health, Environment and Quality standards are met
• Manage design risk and monitor its mitigation through design Risk Assessments
• Manage the design team balancing available resource to meet the needs of new and existing projects and sales enquiries.
• Provide technical backup and expertise to operations and contracts departments.
• Provide technical support and expert advice during bid submissions • Undertake process of continuous product development.
• Maintain and update standards library
• Actively promote and develop Company BIM strategy.
• Effectively manage Specifiers, CAD technicians and support staff to provide first class service to all internal and external clients.
• Co-ordinate design process, working with a variety of specialist consultants including but not limited to o Structural Engineers. o Acoustician. o Carbon Consultants. o BREEAM Assessors. o Mechanical Designers. o Electrical Designers. o Architects
• Provide product design and technical support by liaising with all internal departments, Group Companies and external suppliers as necessary.
• Develop innovative and cost-effective new products, designs and modifications of existing fleet to increase utilisation and growth in the market.
• Review and provide expert advice to the management team on technical suitability of new products, materials and methods of construction, transport and installation.
• Manage system of technical Non-Conformity Reporting (NCR) and effectively instigate root cause analysis to remedy any issues at source.
• Liaise with supply chain, customers and consultants as required.
• To work in a safe and sensible manner within the boundaries of the Company Health and Safety Policy and any additional site restrictions. Main Tasks
• Manage the specifying process from receipt of order through to successful completion of the project • Manage the pre bid design of projects working from client briefs, drawings and associated documents
• Provide professional technical support covering all modular products and projects.
• Catalogue and maintain full technical database of all products to include full detailed drawings, specifications, installation details and calculations.
• Liaise with Central Procurement and provide technical advice on product/material suitability
• Implement and maintain formal design modification procedures
• Report on forthcoming Regulatory changes which may impact the Company
• Assume role of Principle Designer in accordance with requirements of Construction, Design and Management Regulations (CDM) 2015.
• Liaise with internal and external clients, end users, statutory bodies and design consultants to ensure smooth delivery of the project through all stages of design.
• Ensure effective collaboration with colleagues in a multi-site environment.
• Work with internal and external designers to discharge any planning conditions.
• Create and manage design risk register, eliminating, reducing or controlling hazards and risk in accordance with CDM 2015.
Job experience & skills
• Good communication/presentation skills
• Experienced manager/leader and capable of meeting deadlines
• High level of drive, energy and initiative, entrepreneurial, resilient, proactive, focused, tenacious and committed, with high standards and achievement orientation and have good attention to detail and problem solving
• Good team player
• Experience and expertise in modular building design
• Good working knowledge of AutoCAD
• Good numeracy and computer skills
• Good knowledge of materials/construction methods
• Outstanding knowledge of appropriate statutory Regulations and British Standards
• Demonstrable track record working in volumetric industry.
• You will be HNC qualified in a building/design related subject as a minimum
• Working knowledge of Autodesk Inventor and or Revit would be an advantage
The role may involve overnight stays where appropriate.